About the Manufacturer:
This arms company was stablished Vitoria, Spain in 1904 as Llama-Gabilondo y Cia SA. Initially the company made copies of Nagant revolvers in 7.62mm Nagant and 8mm Lebel, as well as Colt New Service, and Vélodog-style revolvers under their own brand. The firm also produced parts for other companies. A poor economic climate forced Gabilondo to file for bankruptcy in 1992, and in 1993 sixty of its gunsmiths and employees began forming a co-op to buy the LLAMA name and all of Gabilondo’s equipment. These Gabilondo employees took their time to get the best price so as not to add to the debt they would inherit, and finalized the transfer around the year 2000, moving the plant to Alava. The cooperative that took over was named Fabrinor Arma Corta y Microfusion, S.A. As much as they tried, the new cooperative could not overcome the company's accumulated debt, and by 2005 had to close their doors.
About the Cartridge:
Developed by Smith & Wesson and introduced along with its Military & Police Model revolver in 1902, this was originally a military cartridge intended to replace the unsatisfactory .38 Long Colt then in use by the Army. Colt brought out its own version of the .38 Special in 1909, which differs from the original only in bullet shape, being a flat-point style. The .38 Special is considered one of the best-balanced, all-round handgun cartridges ever designed. It is also one of the most accurate and very widely used for match shooting.