About the Handgun:
The SIG Pro was the first polymer-frame handgun from Sig Sauer and one of the first pistols to feature a built-in universal accessory rail and interchangeable grips. The overall design is slightly different from earlier Sig Sauer pistols such as P220 or P226, as there is no separate dis-assembly lever on the frame and the slide release lever looks quite different.
About the Manufacturer:
SIG was established in 1853 to make railway rolling stock but has since attained an remarkable record for excellence in the design and manufacture of firearms. The company has specialized in military weapons, primarily for the Swiss army, and since 1945 has been making pistols that rank among the world's finest. In the 1970s a partnership was formed with J.P Sauer & Sohn, allowing SIG designs to be made in Germany. Thus, the SIG Sauer line of handguns began, starting with the SIG Sauer P220 handgun in 1975. In 1985, SIGARMS was created as the American branch of SIG in Tysons Corner, Virginia to import the P220 and P230. In 1987 SIGARMS moved to Herndon, Virginia, and in 1990 moved to Exeter, New Hampshire to accommodate new manufacturing. On October 1, 2007 SIGARMS officially changed their name to SIG Sauer.
About the Cartridge:
This cartridge was developed as a joint venture between Winchester and Smith & Wesson. It was an effort to to create a cartridge with the same power as the 10mm Norma round that the FBI had just started using, but in a shorter case. The shorter cartridge would facilitate accuracy and allow use of a smaller, more comfortable grip frame. The .40 S&W has become the cartridge of choice for many law enforcement agencies in the United States.